Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Thank you walmart lady

Wow. Judge much?

I transferred Caity’s prescriptions to the walmart pharmacy close to us. It’s easier to get them there than traveling to the other side of town. OR dealing with Aetna’s mail order place further.

So when I went to pick them up, first the pharmacist wants to do a consult. A consult for drugs that my daughter has been taking for oh 9 months or so. OK.

Then she tells me, that she wanted to be sure the drug was correct, because that drug isn’t commonly used in A) Females, and B) Children.

So I inform her that yes it’s the right drug, yes it’s the right dose, and yes I know there are possible side effects. I also informed her that I also know that IF we do not go with this experimental drug treatment, we are looking at at least one kidney transplant. And that IMO as Caity’s mother, the risks of the drug are far less than the risks of needing a new kidney and having to wait for it OR further damage to the currently “good” kidney.

This isn’t my first encounter like this, but it was far more annoying this week. Maybe it’s the pregnancy hormones, but until you’ve been in the position to make a tough choice such as this, you shouldn’t make assumptions or say Well I would do this.

Yes, there are risks; yes it is possible that our daughter will not be able to have her own children(though highly unlikely). That’s better than her having no future at all. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. But I'm not sorry for the choices I've made.



1 comment:

Marni's Organized Mess said...

:-(


You can't be sorry. You have to just do all of your research, know your options and do the best that you know how in your heart and mind.

It sounds like you have and therefore you should NOT feel guilty.

Was it that crappy ass comment people are always saying about "people can only make you feel how you let them". Horseshit.

Hang in there, I know those feelings.